City of Tallassee
Title: Building Inspector
This position performs technical plumbing and mechanical inspections and plans examining work to enforce compliance with plumbing and mechanical codes, regulations and ordinances; assists supervisory staff with the code adoption process; and answers public questions regarding all plumbing and mechanical codes and energy questions. This position will also be required to do all things deemed necessary by the Mayor of Tallassee.
- Requires High School diploma, GED, or specialized vocational training.
- Preferably possesses three years of increasingly responsible mechanical, plumbing and energy conservation inspection experience or field experience related to these codes.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid plumbing inspector certificate within one year of appointment.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, Certified Alabama Planning and Zoning Official certificate within one year of appointment.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, asbestos inspection certification within one year of appointment.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, lead inspection certification within one year of appointment.
- Preferably have extensive knowledge of International building codes 2006 or higher.
- Preferably basic electrical knowledge.
- Applicants are required to submit to a background check and random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
Essential Job Functions
- This position continuously works alone in extreme outdoor weather conditions where they conduct physical on-site building, structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing inspections to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Inspects commercial and residential buildings during various stages of construction and remodeling to ensure compliance with applicable mechanical and plumbing codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Examines plans and specifications of new construction, additions and alterations to residential and commercial buildings to determine compliance with the provisions of applicable mechanical and plumbing codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Inspects existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy, or compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Inspects plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC) and a large variety of other complex and routine building mechanical system elements.
- Assists public at counter; accept plans for review.
- Confers with and communicates with architects, contractors, engineers, builders, and the general public in the field and office; explain and interpret all plumbing, mechanical and energy conservation code requirements and restrictions.
- Maintains files and reports regarding inspection and plan check activities and findings.
- Provides code and ordinance related information to the public, city staff, contractors, and architects; reviews construction plans and specifications and advises contractors on non-compliance areas.
- Maintains records of inspection activities; prepares routine and special reports; files reports on construction projects as required.
- Reviews and evaluates data from engineers; performs periodic checks of contractor licenses to ensure currency.
- Operates a motor vehicle to transport self to and from inspection sites. Also must keep acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
- Positions self to inspect low, tight, or confined spaces and to ascend or descend ladders or stairs to inspect attics, multi-story buildings, roofs, basements, and or crawl spaces.
- The person in this position must possess normal or corrected visual acuity and field of vision, color perception, depth perception, and texture perception to perform thorough inspections.
- Attends or conducts staff, safety, and other professional meetings to exchange information; attends in-service training and technical or professional classes, seminars, or conferences to improve technical or professional skills.
The City of Tallassee is an Equal Opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, parental status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other legally protected status.