MINUTES OF A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
OF THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE
CITY OF TALLASSEE, ALABAMA
JUNE 8, 2021
The Mayor and the City Council of the City of Tallassee, Alabama convened in regular session on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tallassee Municipal Complex. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Hammock and the following were recorded as present:
Mayor John Hammock
Council Members Jeremy Taunton
Fred Randall Hughey
Joe Seawell Moore was present as city attorney and Whitney Pitchford as secretary for the meeting.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the council work session held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Taunton and second by Councilmember Carr, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the regular council meeting held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Hall and second by Councilmember Brown, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the special council meeting held on Tuesday, June 1, 2021. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Taunton and second by Councilmember Hall, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 1: Discussed the personnel board appointment in the work session. Councilmembers will get names of interested individuals.
Item 2: The following TRA members were appointed upon a motion by Councilmember Taunton, second by Councilmember Hughey and a vote in favor by all: David Lawrence- 6 years, Kami Scarborough- 6 years, Jeff Branch- 6 years, Jerry Cunningham- 4 years, Denese Harper- 4 years, Steve Miller- 2 years, and Dylan Daniel- 2 years.
Item 3: Councilmembers are still looking for someone willing to serve on the Rec Board. Wendy Clayton will email Councilmember Brown and Mayor Hammock they bylaws for the Rec Board.
Item 4: A Resolution concerning a Public Nuisance located at 1610 Gilmer Avenue was discussed. Andy Coker stated this house was in foreclosure and a family member was trying to make a claim on it. Councilmember Taunton made a motion to adopt the Resolution and keep the grass cut through the summer, seconded by Councilmember Hill. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously. Resolution 2021-674 was adopted.
Item 5: A Resolution concerning a Public Nuisance located at 410 John Street was discussed. Andy Coker stated this house has junk and high grass. The owner went to a nursing home and passed away. Medicaid is taking the house. Councilmember Hall made a motion to adopt the Resolution and keep the grass cut through the summer, seconded by Councilmember Brown. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously. Resolution 2021-675 was adopted.
Item 6: Councilmember Hall discussed Keep Alabama Beautiful in the work session. He is in the process of setting up a private organization “Keep Tallassee Beautiful” and will become an affiliate of Keep Alabama Beautiful. They will receive free supplies. Mayor Hammock said the beautification line item could be used for this to help with the dumpster if needed.
Item 7: The CDG agreement with the scoping document for the Rehabilitation of the Downtown Tank project was discussed in the work session by Jeff Harrison. Councilmember Hill made a motion to accept the CDG agreement, seconded by Councilmember Carr. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 8: The dumpster at ETUMC was discussed. ETUMC stated that the city had paid for the dumpster in the past for the church allowing vendors to use their parking lot on Saturdays. The City Clerk stated that there were no records of the city ever paying for this dumpster. Councilmembers all agreed that the city should not and could not legally pay for a dumpster for anyone that was not affiliated with the city.
Item 9: Mayor Hammock reported on a number of additional items.
- Vacating the street beside First Community Bank was discussed. Councilmember Hill made a motion to vacate the street, seconded by Councilmember Taunton. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- The library chimney is leaking water in the basement, water is leaking at the fire department, the police department is leaking and not ADA compliant, city hall has many issues, and the water filter plant has many issues. Mayor Hammock asked the city to do a CIP for our buildings. Councilmember Hughey made a motion to do a CIP not to exceed $45,000, seconded by Councilmember Hill. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Director Boswell from ADECA will be in town on June 16th from 10:30AM to 1PM.
- We have cross referenced the PPP loan list with people inside the city limits that do not have business license. We are sending out a letter to them. There are 92 on the list.
- We have 2 limb trucks that are down this week. In the last year there has been over $72,000 in repairs done to all 3 limb trucks. I recommend that we find a new limb truck from surplus.
Item 10: Council Reports:
- Councilmember Carr wanted to thank Mayor and Jeff for all of their hard work.
- Councilmember Brown wanted to thank Rod and Alabama Power for the new lights in his ward. They look great!
Item 11: There being no further business before the council, and upon motion of Councilmember Hill and second of Councilmember Carr, the council unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:23 p.m.
JOHN HAMMOCK, Mayor
WHITNEY PITCHFORD, City Clerk