MINUTES OF A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
OF THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE
CITY OF TALLASSEE, ALABAMA
AUGUST 10, 2021
The Mayor and the City Council of the City of Tallassee, Alabama convened in regular session on Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tallassee Municipal Complex. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Hammock and the following were recorded as present:
Mayor John Hammock
Council Members Jeremy Taunton-absent
Fred Randall Hughey
John Smith was present as city attorney and Whitney Pitchford as secretary for the meeting.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the council work session held on Tuesday, July 27, 2021. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Hall and second by Councilmember Brown, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the regular council meeting held on Tuesday, July 27, 2021. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Brown and second by Councilmember Carr, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 1: A donation to the 13-year-old Babe Ruth All Stars going to the World Series was discussed in the work session. Councilmember Hill made a motion to suspend the rules, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a roll call vote, the motion passed unanimously. Councilmember Hall made a motion to donate $300 to the Babe Ruth All Stars, seconded by Councilmember Hill. The motion was approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 2: An appointment to the IDB Board was discussed during the work session. Councilmember Hill made a motion to appoint Miles Hathcock to the IDB Board, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 3: Item was covered during the work session.
Item 4: Dr. Nolin requested parking on King Street while construction continued on the school. Councilmembers discussed this during the work session and saw no issues with this as long as driveways were not blocked.
Item 5: The sewer lift station was discussed during the work session. Mayor Hammock will email price to Councilmembers.
Item 6: Mayor Hammock reported on a number of additional items.
- 13-year old Babe Ruth All Stars are playing in New York this week.
- Job Fair today from 5PM to 7PM.
- City is always hiring. Meter reader, utility workers, water filter plant, and crossing guards.
- Waste Management had sent out something saying the days for service had changed. As of now, the days are the same until further notice.
- Police and Utility workers need to be paid more money.
- Laney Lift Station is operational and functioning well.
- SCADA for Laney coming soon and punch list and cleanup.
- Laney Force Main replacement the elevated pipe crossing is completed. All in-ground piping completed. Punch list then cleanup and closeout.
- Meeting next week with Rast construction the sole bidder for the downtown utility replacement project. If negotiations fail, then re-bid ASAP.
- TAP streetscape will bid when we are 50% complete on the utility replacement.
- Downtown water tank specifications to be completed by 8/13/21, approve bid in September and construction start 4th
- Whatley Drive is 99% complete. Punch list items only remaining.
- Rick Pate lunch August 19th at 1220 warehouse at 11:30am. Let Wendy know by Thursday if you will be attending.
Item 7: Council Reports:
- Councilmember Hill said that the floor had fallen at the Hotel. Mayor Hammock said that the court date for the Hotel was September 1. Finance Committee meeting August 30th at 1PM
- Councilmember Carr: TRA meeting Tuesday at 6PM
- Councilmember Hall: Keeping Tallassee Beautiful will not meet in September. The next cleanup day will be in November.
- Councilmember Godwin: East Patton-Can we clean that area up? Mayor checking on that.
- Councilmember Hughey: Historical Society accepted offer on the Superintendent’s House. They appreciate the City’s help!
Item 8: There being no further business before the council, and upon motion of Councilmember Hill and second of Councilmember Hall, the council unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:23 p.m.
JOHN HAMMOCK, Mayor
WHITNEY PITCHFORD, City Clerk