MINUTES OF A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
OF THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE
CITY OF TALLASSEE, ALABAMA
MARCH 8, 2022
The Mayor and the City Council of the City of Tallassee, Alabama convened in regular session on Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tallassee Municipal Complex. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Hammock and the following were recorded as present:
Mayor John Hammock
Council Members Jeremy Taunton
Fred Randall Hughey
John Smith was present as city attorney and Whitney Pitchford as secretary for the meeting.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the council work session held on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Brown and second by Councilmember Taunton, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the regular council meeting held on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Hall and second by Councilmember Carr, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 1: Chief Buce presented promotions for the following:
Jon Rawls-Lt. Investigator
Chris Howard-Lt. Patrol Commander
Brian Clayton-SRO Lt.
J Taylor Smith-Sgt. Patrol
Pamela Jones-Dispatch Supervisor
Cindy Grover-Training Dispatcher
Item 2: Jeff Harrison emailed updated on projects to Councilmembers and Mayor.
Item 3: The Ordinance regarding the leaf collection policy was introduced. Councilmember Hughey made a motion to suspend the rules, seconded by Councilmember Brown. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously. Councilmember Hughey made a motion to adopt the Ordinance, seconded by Councilmember Brown. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously, Ordinance 2022-680 was adopted.
Item 4: The surplus of the leaf truck was discussed. Charles Blalock told Councilmember Taunton that someone years ago loaned the City the truck. Councilmembers asked Chief Buce to run a check on the VIN and get back with the Council.
Item 5: Mayor’s Reports:
- Post Admin Assist for the Building Department. Councilmember Brown made a motion to post this as a fulltime job, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Asked about paying to advertise for the building inspector job again. Councilmember Taunton said that he thought we should interview the applicants that we had. Councilmember Brown agreed. Mayor Hammock said that since this was a personnel matter that this was a mayor decision. He said the job for building inspector would be posted for another 2 weeks on the city’s website and the board outside of Wendy’s office.
- Davis Rogers asked for approval to match for $14,990.54 on the Hazardous Mitigation grant that the council had previously approved. Councilmember Hill made a motion to approve this match and to use 400-4240 if needed, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Roofing materials-limb truck does not pick up.
- Filter Plant jobs are still available. Leave this position open.
- Street Department has openings.
- March 12th girls’ softball opening ceremonies at 12:15-Council and Mayor invited.
- Pre-Construction meeting-emailed updates.
Item 6: Council Reports:
- Councilmember Carr-TRA meeting March 14, 2022 5PM at Rec Center
- Councilmember Hall-April 9th Keep Tallassee Beautiful 8-11AM. Jamie Dantro asked permission to leave a camper on his lot in Noble Subdivision for 6 months while building his house. Councilmember Hall made a motion to approve this request, seconded by Councilmember Brown Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Councilmember Hughey said that he had talked to John Shirley-owner of Mae Pops BBQ. They were told by the former building inspector that they could have a gravel parking lot until someone made a complaint against them and after that, they would have a year to get the parking lot paved. Mayor Hammock said this was up to Planning and Zoning.
Item 7: There being no further business before the council, and upon motion of Councilmember Hill and second of Councilmember Taunton, the council unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:22 p.m.
JOHN HAMMOCK, Mayor
WHITNEY PITCHFORD, City Clerk