MINUTES OF A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
OF THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE
CITY OF TALLASSEE, ALABAMA
APRIL 12, 2022
The Mayor and the City Council of the City of Tallassee, Alabama convened in regular session on Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tallassee Municipal Complex. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Hammock and the following were recorded as present:
Mayor John Hammock
Council Members Jeremy Taunton
Fred Randall Hughey
John Smith was present as city attorney and Whitney Pitchford as secretary for the meeting.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the council work session held on Tuesday, March 22, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Carr and second by Councilmember Taunton, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the regular council meeting held on Tuesday, March 22, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Taunton and second by Councilmember Godwin, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 1: Playground line item 512-5277 was discussed during the work session. To complete the Funtastic Fort, the Rec Center needs $24,370.60 added to 512-5277. This will cover the remaining invoices for the park. This was included in the budget last fiscal year, but we did not receive the invoices until this fiscal year. Councilmember Godwin made a motion to suspend the rules, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a roll call vote, the motion passed unanimously. Councilmember Hill made a motion to add $24,370.66 to line item 512-5277, seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 2: Jeff Harrison is at a conference but he emailed updates on Capital Improvement Projects.
Item 3: Councilmember Taunton discussed the parking lot at MaePop’s. The Planning Commission recommended that the City give MaePop’s 6 months from today to pave their parking lot. Councilmember Taunton made a motion to give MaePop’s 6 months from April 12th to get their parking lot paved, seconded by Councilmember Hughey. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 4: The request from the Tallassee Lions Club was discussed. Councilmember Hill made a motion to donate $100 out of the Economic Development line item 514-5070 to the Tallassee Lions Club, seconded by Councilmember Carr. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 5: Several line items in the water and sewer department were discussed and explained on a handout. Councilmember Hill made a motion to suspend the rules, seconded by Councilmember Carr. Upon a roll call vote, the motion was approved. Councilmember Godwin made a motion to approve the budget adjustments on the handout (attached), seconded by Councilmember Hall. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 6: The upcoming audit was discussed. Mayor and Councilmembers asked City Clerk Whitney Pitchford to research old RFP for Jackson Thornton and to send it to the Council. Mayor will reach out to local auditors.
Item 7: Mayor’s Reports:
- Have a safe and pleasant Easter weekend.
Item 8: Council Reports:
- Councilmember Taunton thanked the city workers for the great job they did in front of Mr. Harper’s office. Councilmember Taunton then read a letter from the Ethics Commission addressed to Whitney Pitchford. This letter dismissed the case against Whitney Pitchford. (attached)
- Councilmember Hill-Finance meeting April 25th at 1PM
- Councilmember Carr-Reeltown Missionary Baptist Church has over 20 benches they are willing to donate to the City if we have someone that can pick them up. Councilmembers agreed that it was okay for city workers to go to the church to get the benches.
- Councilmember Hall-shut down Keep Tallassee Beautiful Facebook page. Possibly periodically place a dumpster at City Hall for the community to use.
- Councilmember Brown-Park & Rec Board meeting April 19th at 5:30PM at the Rec Center.
- Councilmember Godwin-wants to look at increasing building license and permit fees.
- Councilmember Hughey-has received complaints about 4-wheelers on city streets, no helmets. Asked Chief to look into this please.
Item 9: There being no further business before the council, and upon motion of Councilmember Hill and second of Councilmember Carr, the council unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:12 p.m.
JOHN HAMMOCK, Mayor
WHITNEY PITCHFORD, City Clerk