MINUTES OF A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
OF THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE
CITY OF TALLASSEE, ALABAMA
JANUARY 25, 2022
The Mayor and the City Council of the City of Tallassee, Alabama convened in regular session on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tallassee Municipal Complex. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Hammock and the following were recorded as present:
Mayor John Hammock
Council Members Jeremy Taunton
Fred Randall Hughey
Lane Knight was present as city attorney and Whitney Pitchford as secretary for the meeting.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the council work session held on Tuesday, January 11, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Taunton and second by Councilmember Carr, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Mayor Hammock presented the minutes of the regular council meeting held on Tuesday, January 11, 2022. There were no additions or changes. Upon motion of Councilmember Hall and second by Councilmember Godwin, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
Item 1: Jeff Harrison gave an update during the work session on projects and handed out a packet to Mayor and Councilmembers.
Item 2: Blake Moon gave an update on the CDBG grant during the work session. He also mentioned that people were leaving tires at different locations in town. Mayor and Councilmembers advised him to pay the $2 fee per tire and take the tires to either Parker or Nabors for them to dispose of since the tires were left in a right of way.
Item 3: Appointment to the personnel board was discussed during the work session. Councilmember Hill made a motion to appoint Steve Miller to the personnel board, seconded by Councilmember Taunton. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
Item 4: Mike Gunn was not present to discuss farm land at the Airport.
Item 5: Mayor’s Reports:
- Police Department wants to purchase a 2022 Ford F250 for the SRO to use. The vehicle is $37,244. There are not any patrol cars or Tahoe’s available at this time. This would come out of line item 502-5236. Councilmember Hill made a motion to approve this purchase, seconded by Councilmember Godwin. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Jackson Thornton- Books are off a little bit. Jackson Thornton can be hired as accountants but we will have to hire different auditors. Councilmember Godwin said that we need to focus on the problems and find out exactly what we are going to be focusing on and get a price. Mayor Hammock said that he would reach out to Jackson Thornton.
Item 6: Council Reports:
- Councilmember Taunton said that he just got a text message stating that John Stalnaker would be a willing participant for the Personnel Board. There was no motion.
- Councilmember Hill said there would be a Finance Committee meeting February 7th at 1PM. Also mentioned that there was debree and standing water in Ward 2 and all of Gilmer. Asked if the street department could look at this.
- Councilmember Hall proposed that Jeff Harrison come to the first council meeting every month to give updates, seconded by Councilmember Godwin. Upon a vote, the motion passed unanimously.
- Councilmember Godwin asked for an update on the bathroom at City Hall and the library. We are still waiting on both repairs. Asked Blake Moon to check on Rose Hill house by the cemetery.
- Councilmember Hughey said that he had received a complaint that the grass at the library needed to be cut. Mentioned that old tires are a big problem and there are more on Riverside Drive.
Item 7: There being no further business before the council, and upon motion of Councilmember Hill and second of Councilmember Brown, the council unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 6:22 p.m.
JOHN HAMMOCK, Mayor
WHITNEY PITCHFORD, City Clerk